Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Kilimanjaro

Today will probably be my last post for a while.  Internet in Atiak is too slow and to be honest, I actually never figured out how to get it when I was there anyway.  I will keep writing and saving my thoughts so when I do have access I can keep everyone up to date.

I went to Kilimanjaro today - a dream of mine since I was a little girl.  I saw her through the haze and clouds and admit I was disappointed I could not see her in her full glory.  I actually had the audacity to think I deserved to after these last 2 weeks.  But the truth is, I saw the snow caps before they are gone forever, ; I saw elephants and a lion and a hyena and a warthog and all the other animals I saw on my ride through Nairobi National Park.  I am ashamed I let such spectacular beauty be dimmed by petty disappointment. The truth is, I was truly blessed to be there and experience all I did and I am grateful now.  It was a dream come true. And only later, now, do I want to cry with joy at being able to behold her at all.

Ambesoli National Park is stunning.  It is 151 sq. miles of beauty and wonder on the Tanzania border.  Very dusty, in fact there were small funnels of dirt rising in the air everywhere.  It was also very hot and I was grateful I had my safari hat with me.  And did you know it is not Mount Kilimanjaro, but just plain Kilimanjaro (according to my trusty guide Peter who said the English mess everything up)?









I leave for Entebbe, Uganda very early in the morning and will have a long day of riding ahead of me. I hope to get to Atiak by late afternoon/early evening.  I am looking forward to being back there: working, learning, sharing, wondering, taking it all in...I wonder what adventures await, but to be honest, I will be happy with calm and peaceful and even a little boring would be good.

On another note and probably what everyone is following more closely than my silly adventures:  Rachael made it home safe and sound.  What a relief to all of us who love her. 



No comments:

Post a Comment