Friday, September 28, 2012

A little better - there is hope

Rachael continues to improve slowly.  She was able to talk via skype and on the phone and have moments of being very chipper.  She still needs a lot of rest, however, and is very very weak.  She walked to a chair today and had a few minutes where she was able to sit up.   I hope to post photos soon of our afternoon trying to make some order of her very gnarly, knotty, dreadlocked hair.  It took a while but we did it.
We are hoping she will be discharged Monday and be able to go home soon after that.  Her malaria is gone, her pneumonia is improving, and her colour is much better.
Being in the hospital she does not get much sleep, but hopefully they will leave her alone tonight.  Tomorrow I am going to work on getting more calories into her.  The restaurant at the hotel is amazing and everyone here is very concerned about her.  I will have them whip her up some yummy protein shakes.
I can't begin to share how absolutely friendly everyone is here.  So very polite, helpful, kind...The hotel staff asked if they could visit Rachael and send flowers.  The security guards ask about her, even the telephone people who I have spent a lot of time with lately trying to get phone and internet gave her a modem to use and sent her a note.  I can't wait to see more than this little neighborhood and experience how incredible this country is.
My faux pas today:  I went shopping to get some sneakers which I will need soon if I go to Mt. Kilimanjaro or even if I check out the Nairobi Park, and some clothes - just a pair of shorts and a tshirt.  I've been wearing Rachael's which are beautiful but I didn't pack anything that matches and I look ridiculous.  Rachael also needed a few things.  There was a sale on shoes and I found a pair that may not be too uncomfortable for only $14 (listed in Kenyan Shillings). I was so excited.  Then on the cab ride home I realized it was actually $140.  At least they are really good shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment