Sunday, September 30, 2012

You never know what the day will bring


Rachael continues to improve and I am astounded at how strong she is. She was able to walk the corridor today and jaunt around her room several times. She also had the strength to sit up in the chair a few times.  She still needs lots of rest but it is wonderful to see her get better bit by bit.  Also, she slept great last night without oxygen!!!!   As you can see in the photo, I am trying to pump her up with lots of calories with yummy milkshakes and smoothies.  I finally got her shoes to go home in. The hospital lost hers - I have no idea how as they were always in her room. Oh well.  Mission accomplished. And the other good news - she will be discharged tomorrow!  I can't wait to get her back here to the hotel where we can relax and sit in the shade I can rub her feet and comb her hair.  Yes, I've been doing that in the hospital but it will be so much nicer in the shade by the pool here.  The hotel staff is very excited and wants me to make sure I let them know exactly what time she will arrive so there will be flowers and fruit waiting, a wheelchair if we need it, and whatever special food she desires.  This shows that as hard as it has been, I have been well cared for too.


While Rachael rested (except when I called to check in on her and woke her up), I went with Moffat Osoro to his clinic and birth center in a very impoverished section of Nairobi.  You can find it on Facebook:  FreMo Medical and Birth Centre.  I was given a tour and was quite impressed with what he has created. The rooms were simple yet well stocked, the facility was neat and clean and had a lovely courtyard.  He has been given a lot of help by donors and especially by Vicki Chan, a midwife from Australia.































Note the awesome scarf used for hanging.





While I was there there was a woman in early labor and then 3 other women showed up.
I helped a bit and was blessed to welcome baby Nicole into this world.  She is quite a cutie.


As I write this I am in my hotel room listening to the Islamic Call to Prayer ringing through the neighborhood. The cars outside are slowing, night is falling.  There is a hustle and bustle I am not used to.  I am beginning to love Nairobi. Even the slums have a simplicity and beauty within all the chaos.  I know that sounds strange, but it is true.  Maybe it is the humanness of it all - raw as it can be.
Oh, and did I mention I saw a three legged goat today?

No comments:

Post a Comment